When making the decision to become a family nurse practitioner, there are many different educational routes you can take. While most people think of traditional brick-and-mortar schools, online programs are becoming more popular and offer certain advantages. We’ll explore who is family nurse practitioners and what they do. We’ll also explore the pros and cons of both the traditional class setting and studying online to help you make the best decision for your career.
Who is a Family Nurse Practitioner?
Family nurse practitioners (FNPs) are registered nurses who have gone on to complete a master’s or doctoral degree in nursing with a focus on primary care. FNPs can work independently or in collaboration with other health care providers to provide a wide range of services to patients of all ages. By working independently, FNPs can provide more comprehensive care to their patients than RNs who work under the supervision of a physician. That means they can do things like diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret diagnostic tests and prescribe medication.
What Does a Family Nurse Practitioner Do?
The scope of practice for an FNP varies by state, but generally speaking, FNPs can provide a wide range of primary care services to patients of all ages. That includes things like diagnosing and treating illnesses, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, prescribing medication, and providing education and counseling on health and wellness. These are trusted health care providers who play a vital role in keeping communities healthy. They also work with other health care providers to ensure that patients receive the best possible care.
Traditional Class Setting vs Online
When it comes to choosing a program to become an FNP, there are two main options: a traditional brick-and-mortar school or an online program. Both have their pros and cons, so it’s important to weigh all your options before making a decision.
Traditional Class Setting Pros:
- You’ll be able to attend class in person, which can be beneficial if you learn best by listening and watching lectures.
- The opportunity to build relationships with your classmates and professors.
- Access to on-campus resources, like the library and writing center.
Traditional Class Setting Cons:
- Commuting to campus can be time-consuming and expensive.
- You’ll have to work your schedule around your class schedule, which can be difficult if you’re working full-time or have other commitments.
- You’ll need to be in the same place at the same time as your classmates, which can be difficult if you have a busy schedule.
- By choosing a family nurse practitioner online program, you can attend class from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection.
- You can access your classes and course materials at any time, which can be helpful if you have a busy schedule.
- You can often complete your degree more quickly by taking advantage of accelerated programs.
- A better school-life balance. When you are not commuting and have more flexible class times, you’ll have more time for your personal life and hobbies. You can also work full-time while you complete your degree.
- You’ll need to be self-motivated and disciplined to succeed in an online program. This is because you won’t have the same structure and support that you would in a traditional brick-and-mortar school.
- You may not have the same opportunity to build relationships with your classmates and professors.
- You may not have access to on-campus resources, like the library and writing center.
Which Option is Right for You?
It really depends on your learning style, schedule, and lifestyle. If you’re the type of person who prefers to attend class in person and build relationships with your classmates and professors, then a traditional brick-and-mortar school may be the better option for you. If you’re a person who prefers to study online and have more flexibility in your schedule, then an online family nurse practitioner program is probably the best option for you. Due to the fast-paced life, we’re living nowadays, an online program might be the more popular and convenient option for many people.
Enrolling in an online FNP program is a big decision. But with the right research and planning, you can find an online program that’s a good fit for you. That way, you can get the education and training you need to become a successful family nurse practitioner.