Chicken Arroz Caldo with Tofu, Egg and pieces of pigs ear sidings
When I was a kid my grandmother always prepare arroz caldo or porridge or congee as some may call it specially on cold rainy weekend. It’s a hot sticky rice with chicken pieces or sometimes with innards or boiled eggs sauteed in ginger, garlic and onion.
In the photo above, it’s chicken arrozcaldo with sidings of fried tofu, boiled egg, and boiled until tender pigs ears cut into small pieces.
Here is the simple recipe dish for it which you can try.
Chicken Arroz Caldo:
1/2 kilo chicken parts cut into pieces
1/2 kilo sticky rice
1/2 kilo cleaned pigs ear or pigs innards
1- whole tofu slices fried
salt and pepper
Direction for cooking:
- Clean pigs ear boil in a pot until tender. Cut into strips or pieces.
- Wash and slice tofu according to your preferred size. Fried tofu slices until golden brown
- wash and boil eggs for about 4-5 minutes. let it cool.
- wash sticky rice until the water runs clear then set aside.
- In a medium pot, sautee ginger, garlic and onion until golden brown. Add pieces of chicken add water to boil and season with salt and pepper. Boil until cook and tender. Add washed sticky rice constantly stirring it to prevent sticking at the bottom of the pot.
- Sticky rice will cook about 20 minutes … add more water or chicken stock until the rice is cook.
- Roast safron and combine it with the cooking sticky rice to add that distinct flavor and color to the arrozcaldo. Stir and taste. Add pepper and salt according to taste.
I prepare some sweetened vinegar with chili and onions and garlic as dipping too. Chopped some fresh onion chives to give that tangy twist in very spoonful. Slice some local line (kalamansi) and mix in a bowl for serving. Best serve hot.
I always consider this dish as a comfort food that can make every tummy warm.